Monday, July 7, 2008

As inviting as a picnic

Blog post ideas have been collecting in the moleskine pages of my head. The ideas fill those pages with myriad short blurbs of pieces; I feel they belong more in a Gertrude Stein poem than in distinct blog posts.

fourth. books. libraries. the beloved. potato salad. tossing a frisbee. cartwheels. fresh figs. free butter almond thins. the post office. articles. friendship. wanting to be a writer. the Word. life. cursive. cursory. slowly.


I guess the thoughts will come, fleshed out, in time - hopefully not pummeling down on you. For now, I'll pick one thing to write about.

The other day a pastor friend came by my office for some help with MS Word. He saw the Serenity Prayer posted up on my wall, which reminded him of the book he's been reading, which he proceeded to pull out, which discusses Reinhold Niebuhr's life, as well as Bonhoeffer's and Lewis'. We started talking about other books, and then he asked me this one question which made me so happy. (Do you ever have that experience when someone asks you a question you're dying to answer? They teach us that in Stephen Ministry. People will tell you what they want you to ask. You just need to be paying attention.) It must have been in my eyes. Anyway, he asked me this:

What books (other than the Bible) have been most formative in your spiritual life?


(To be honest, it's almost as much the way in which he asked the question as the question itself. I love the word "formative." Maybe, Maria, I shall stick it in my drawer alongside the words "tender" and "elegant.")

The question was tossed out with such grace and ease, as inviting as a picnic blanket freshly spread out onto the grass, waiting for me to plop down, sigh, and soak up the sun. Ahh...

And so as I sit here on this picnic blanket, nibbling on morsels of cheese and nubs of bread, enjoying the warm sun and your lovely company, I tell you this: my answer to that question has been, for a while, Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. I would not be who I am had it not been for reading that book; it encouraged me to explore spiritual disciplines that have, for me, opened up a world of knowing God. I love Foster's clear reminders that the disciplines are not an end in themselves; rather, they are "a means of receiving his grace," in that they "allow us to place ourselves before God so that he can transform us." Recently, Courage and Calling has won my appreciation. And thinking back, I've valued Piper's Desiring God, Don Miller's Blue Like Jazz, and a small tale of an allegory called Hinds' Feet on High Places.

What about you? What books have been most formative for you?

3 comments:

Molly said...

67th favorite book indeed! I love that every time I read Foster's words something new speaks to my heart and where I'm at. I love that each chapter's form is predictable and applicable. I love that the book reminds me that discipline is a gift and knowing God is a process.

I would also include Saint Augustine's Confessions in my list of formative books. The book that most recently spoke into my life was Passion and Purity, but not for relationshipy stuff. It had more to do with God's timing and what he calls us to.

Josh Mathews said...

At the top would have to be Desiring God. My perspective of the Bible, God, and how I fit into it all seemingly got turned upside down.

Also, David Nasser's "A Call to Die" was significant. It was one of those books (more like an intense devotional) that was perfect for the time/place/situation.

Stephanie said...

well lisa, you have made your mark, as i examine the books most formative in my spiritual life and find that they are almost exactly the same ones that you named. ahhhhhhhhh

foster cel of discs
donald miller blj & searching for god...
there are more but i can't think right now. at cafe and sooo hungry for more than a lame iced coffee.
ooooh the irresistble revolution by shane claiborne. love love.

(i'm pretty sure the person you marry will ask you that question weekly, and then you two will trade books)

and hinds feet...aaagh that one made me cry, although that is not such a hard feat nowadays

this has officially been way too long of a comment